Thursday, January 28, 2016

For the Days When You're Really Busy...


I don't know any mother who would say her life isn't busy.
Mine certainly has been *that* since the turn of the year.
The day the calendar flipped from 2015 to 2016 I felt like the proverbial rug was yanked out from under me and I've been stumbling to catch up ever since.


I'm not gonna go into details, though, because my busy may not look like yours.
And sometimes when we read a list of what others are doing we start to compare.....and that's really not what this is all about.
Whenever I start to feel the strain of busyness I stop and ask myself if this is a problem I've created or if this is a time of stretching from the Lord.


"God-given responsibilities never conflict."
I believe that with all of my being.
So if there are two or more things seriously fighting for my attention all the time, I must first check and make sure that those things are really of God.
If something is not of God, it's got to go.


I've also learned that there are times that God puts a lot on my plate.
None of my duties are in conflict, but there are days when everything is packed pretty tightly together.
If I'm not listening to the Holy Spirit and one of them gets out of place, I'll definitely feel the pinch.


That's where I'm living right now.
Not between a rock and a hard place, but walking on the tightrope of doing exactly what the Lord wants done at each and every moment with no breathing space.
That's an okay place to be, too.
It's a growing place, a faith-stretching place, a humbling place, a diligence-learning place.


While it is possible to learn to rest in Him during times like these, practically I've not learned that yet.
I'm in the process.
In tight spaces, I can start to worry about how I'm gonna get out of them.
My instincts say to hyperventilate at the least, and run if that doesn't work.


This afternoon I was feeling that pressure: the desire to run, hide, get away from my responsibilities.
So God sent me a gift in the form of an overly-tired, screaming two-year old.
My littlest has hit that lovely stage of if-she-takes-a-nap-she'll-not-go-to-bed-until-midnight-but-sometimes-4 o'clock-is-awful.
All you mamas know what I'm talking about.


She wanted to sleep, and I couldn't let her.
She was filthy and needed a bath before church, but we are on strict water conservation right now.
Limited water = bucket bath.
She had worked herself into a frenzy, and mentally I was in a tizzy, too.
I was doing my best to pray about a situation we were awaiting an answer for, but my mind kept slipping into worry and doubt.


God opened my eyes enough to realize that my wee one needed her mama. Not her mama, distracted and worried, but her mama giving her her full attention.
I placed her in the bucket {which she was fighting with all her strength} and began to speak softly in hopes of quieting her turbulent heart.
I gently washed her grubby arms and legs, and as I talked, her heartbeat slowed.
By the time I wrapped her in the towel and cuddled her close, she was completely calm and so was I.
In turning my mind to my job at hand, I was able to let go of all my fears.
{And no, being gentle and calm is not my personality. It's something I constantly have to work at. Praise the Lord for grace today!}


A few minutes later, hubby let out a whoop from his office area and shouted my name.
I knew, before ever setting down baby and walking to the computer, that God had answered the very thing I'd been praying and fretting and worrying about most of the afternoon.
When I'd chosen to do the next thing I was supposed to do, God had calmed my heart and lifted that burden I'd been carrying.
I pray the next time I'm feeling the strain of all God's called me to do on the busy days, I'll remember that an obedient heart, a trusting mind, and a resting soul are all that I really need to see my through the rough spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment