Monday, June 22, 2015

For the Days When You Feel Like Pouting...


It was about as perfect a day as I've ever seen in Ghana.
The sky was a soft, medium blue with perfectly puffy white clouds.
It wasn't too hot, and there was a light breeze blowing {both of those things are quite out of the ordinary here!}


We had a picnic at the Botanical Gardens, complete with a rousing game of Tackle Soccer {yes, a family invention} and a good half hour of fairy tree climbing.
I couldn't have asked for a better beginning to our school break, but I wasn't happy with it.





Why wasn't I happy?
Because it wasn't how I'd planned our day.
There was a brand-new, first of its kind park commissioned in our town on Friday.
They have a children's playground.
That may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is the VERY FIRST IN OUR ENTIRE COUNTRY.
We were excited to take our girls and surprise them.
We drove all the way there......and it's not officially open yet.



I tried to keep my attitude under control, but I was having a hard time of it.
It wasn't that we didn't get other good things done.
It wasn't that we couldn't have fun at the Botanical Gardens.
It's just that it didn't fit my idea of what today was supposed to look like.







As I sat pouting {yes, it really was that!}, my hubby and girls were having a marvelous time running and kicking and jumping and tackling each other.
I snapped a few pictures of flowers.....and moped.
John asked me if I wanted to throw the frisbee.
Though I usually love tossing a frisbee around, I couldn't make it do what I wanted.





I tried again and again, but my feelings were flying about as high as that frisbee ~ lop-sided, clunky, and consistently down in the dirt.
As I chased down that silly frisbee for the tenth time, I tried to figure out what I had really had to be upset about.
I could only come up with one answer: expectations.




What I'd wanted to happen hadn't happened, and now instead of changing my thinking about the matter and letting my feelings follow suit, I'd let my emotions lead my mind.
I'm learning that this is dangerous ground.



My feelings are just that ~ feelings.
They come. They go.
They are up. They are down.
They are NOT something to base my life on.
They are fickle, temporary, and often short-lived.



So I had a choice to make: I could either follow my floundering emotions and look back on this day with regret or I could choose to think true thoughts and guide my feelings back to where they should be.
I wish I could say I did the right thing........
but I didn't.
Oh, I tried a bit to change how I felt, but since I didn't think God's thoughts, it didn't last long.
As we walked out of the garden, I still felt the disappoint rowling in my soul.


My the time we got home, I was miserable.
I sent the kiddos outside and went to a quiet place to make things right in my heart and mind.
I chose to think Truth {Philippians 4:8 being exceptionally helpful on a day like today},
but I can never get back our time at the gardens.
I don't get to redo what should have been done right the first time.


So this evening as I post these pictures and share this story, I choose to dwell in Truth.
Though I can't get today back, He gives me tomorrow, full of His mercies and faithfulness.
In that, I can rest.
I'm praying next time I can guide my feelings into the best Tackle Soccer game ever.

3 comments:

  1. Totally understand! Glad you got to have such a beautiful day--looks like it was a treasure! And the photos were beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a long time reader of yours, found you by way of BMW. Your post is spot on! We are stateside on our first furlough after 7 years on the field, and a very similar thing (with a different set of surroundings) happened with me just a few days ago! Mine was due partly to fatigue, but a lot had to do with expectations. Thank you for your wonderfully helpful blogposts!
    The day looked absolutely gorgeous and the pictures were lovely.
    Shellee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there, done that. I have ruined days with my attitude, even if I was the only one who realized I ruined it because it was my heart that was the issue, nothing else. Glad I'm not alone, and definitely know that I will pray that we both learn how to turn the day around when our hearts refuse to listen to Truth because expectation doesn't pan out. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete