Friday, September 12, 2014

The Books Piled Next to My Bed





Oh, how I love a good book.
They are entertainment, adventure, knowledge, old friends, dear mentors.
Some are read once and linger forever in your mind.
Others, must be read again and again and again, each return giving you more to savor, chew on, and digest into your very being.




Reading has not come easy to most of our family.
While I was an early reader, my hubby is a dyslexic, as is my firstborn.
We decided, though, that we wanted reading to be part of the fabric of our family.
So we read.
And read,
and read,
and read.
Though it has been difficult at times, frustrating at others, I can truly say we are the better for it.
It is worth the struggle.



Right now we are reading and rereading some excellent books ~

I am reading A Charlotte Mason Companion, a personal take on the educational philosophy of Charlotte Mason. Well-thought out, practical, and thoroughly helpful, it is an excellent view of how to put CM's theories into practice in my own home. Perfect read as we start a new school year.

John is reading Third Culture Kids for the first time, but this is one I reread on a regular basis. This is a must-read not only to help me understand my kiddos, but also to help me through the inevitable transitions that are just part of my life as a missionary. This is also an excellent book for those who have family members on the mission field, or want to better know how to pray for their missionaries.
This one is also available on Kindle.

Carey, my ten-year old, is reading The Wheel on the School. A beautiful tale of hopes and dreams, and what can happen when you wonder. A favorite from my own childhood. Five-stars!

Ella, my 7 1/2 year old, is reading Pollyanna. I read this for the first time with Carey a few years ago, and couldn't wait to read it again with Ella. If you liked the movie, you will love the book! Who couldn't love a book about a talkative little girl who works so hard to be GLAD!
This is also available on Kindle, for free!

 


“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” 

What are you reading?
I'd love to hear........


2 comments:

  1. Loved your post, as always! I'm reading The Frenchman, a novel based on the author's great, great, great grandfather's life as a persecuted Huguenot in France, who eventually ended up in America. The author, Sandra Barker, is a good friend and mentored me with my own first book. I'm also reading No Gym Needed: Quick and Simple Workouts for Gals on the Go by Lise Cartwright. I was looking for an alternative to another workout routine I had used. So far, interesting, though not a Christian book. And, the Bible, the only Book that is living and powerful. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going through the free books on the Kindle! :) There are so many classics, and it is a great way to find new authors. I am looking forward to checking out some of these books you mentioned and some that John recommended the other day. My boys love Hardy Boys, Narnia books and so many other things. I'm a huge mystery buff, and am discovering some historical fictions recently that are pretty great. I also like Christian fiction, generally that go in the historical fiction category. Missionary biographies, hymn histories, the Bible, creation works and others like those are also always welcome! :) One of my favorite books that I will be reading because it fits where our Sunday School classes' lessons are right now is "The Lady The Lord Is Looking For" by Cathy Corle. If you've not read it, Patty, you simply must and make sure to have your girls read it, too! So excellent!

    ReplyDelete