Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Summer Memories


A simple watermelon was all it took.
I cut into the first one of the season and was instantly flooded with the smell of summer.
Yes, we get two watermelon seasons a year {ain't I lucky?!?}, but the second one is during the winter months, and the funny thing is that it doesn't mess with my mind then!
But the other day?
I was floored.
Completely knocked over with memories of a season that is so very different from the one I experience now.


Bike rides with the family...
long Michigan sunsets....
walking to the corner for enormous ice cream cones....
sitting around the fire pit in the backyard...
walking to the park....
huge plates of watermelon.....
fresh sweet corn....
chasing fireflies....
trekking to the park with the kiddos...
s'mores around the campfire....
playing in Grampa's creek...
picking strawberries and raspberries at the u-pick farm...
Those are my memories of summer.


But life is different here...
summer here isn't as hot and isn't about relaxing....
our schedule doesn't change too much, though the girls have a little bit more free time....
since we live on the equator, the days don't get longer....
we spend about the same amount of time outdoors year round...
and we don't eat too many seasonal foods...
But that doesn't mean that we can't make new memories.


This is the place I find myself now...
Savoring the sweet days of the past,
but hunting and hoping for the beautiful todays. 




1 comment:

  1. I get nostalgic like that, too, this time of year, oddly enough. I long for the days I spent at camp as staff there, hoping that one day that EHBC will be to the place where they have summer camps so that I can do those things again. It's like daily revival when you're constantly surrounded by chapel meetings, at least for me, and my heart longs for that, because things happen at camp that happen no where else, if you know what I mean. :) Anyway, we love you all and miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete