Wednesday, May 15, 2013

For The Days When You Don't Feel LIke You've Got Much Left To Give {And a Winner!}


The days have started early and the nights have gone late.
Sick babies
and coughing kiddos
and a growing belly
and school starting up again
have left his mama feeling like she doesn't have much left to give.
 

The happy heights of a new baby being born into the church
have been pushed down by the grief of losing a three-year-old Sunday School boy too quickly.
Sitting with a joyful mama and papa who've walked their own road of grief and can now rejoice in a blessing from Heaven one week,
and then sitting with a mourning mother and father whose only son died in a tragic accident the next week.


Talking with five- and six-year-olds who are afraid to sleep at night lest the ghost of their friend come to haunt them.
Telling them that fear is not of God, but straight from the Father of Lies.
Comforting my own sweet babes who cough and wheeze the whole night through
and have to take the nasty medicine......again....
because it's good for them.


Finishing up the mother's day presents that should have been mailed weeks ago
because we've just run out of time
and energy
and strength.
Facing the constant battle with the flesh when the electricity-cuts-out-one-more-time and wondering how long it will stay off this time?

And I think, is this what I signed up for?
Is this what missions is really supposed to look like?
And then my Father reminds me...
Yes, my child. I've called you not just to give the gospel, but also to live the gospel. You are to live it daily in front of your little ones when they are sick and you are tired. You are to live a life of thankfulness when there seems little to be thankful for. You are to live a life of victory over the flesh and model My grace working in your life. You are to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. You are to comfort the weak and speak Truth. You are to fill up today with whatever it is I've given you to do. You are to give and live and speak and breathe the gospel every moment of every day.....and yet know that I'm the One doing it in you.
If I think about it that way....
then yes, *this*
is what missions looks like....
for me....
for today.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who chose to comment, I thoroughly enjoyed each one of them!
Our winner is Sarah in Costa Rica!
Sarah, if you could just let me know your snail mail address, I'll get this package on its way ASAP!
And for those who didn't comment?
Read through them. There are some beautiful words there!

5 comments:

  1. So true, Patty, so true. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. It is easy to be a loving, godly example when things are rosy, but so much harder when things are falling apart around you and we feel picked on and singled out. At those times I have one thought that comforts me: Bad times come to all, Christian or not, and without discrimination. At least I have the Lord to lean on and help me through it all. Knowing He is there helps me shine, not by my own power, but just saying, "Lord, I can't," and letting Him do it...As it is meant to be. Love you all and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't commented much lately, because my brain just hasn't seemed to be able to function enough to do that. lol , but this post was an encouragement and I have enjoyed your posts on missions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! That's baby brain for you! I tell my hubby that I lose brain cells with every kiddo ~ guess we better be done soon or I might run out :)
      Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. Patty, I am Sarah in Costa Rica. :-). I tried to contact you by email and by Facebook, but I am not sure if it got through -- sorry! Please let me know an email address that I could reach you at! Thanks again for your encouraging blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sarah! So glad to hear from you! I'm not sure why the contacts didn't come through....I checked my spam, but there didn't seem to be anything there and nothing over on facebook.....not quite sure what the problem was?!? Anyways, if those two didn't work, please email me your address at johninghana (at) yahoo (dot) com. Thanks!

      Delete