Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Raising My Girls to Have a Heart for Missions: People


 We've talked a lot about teaching missions in our homes over the last few weeks.
And this week we move to practical.

The practical side of missions can be summed up in one word: PEOPLE. 

As I think back to what my own parents did to instill in me a heart for missions, it all comes back to that one thing.
I cannot teach and train my children that life is all about them, and then one day expect them to leave their comfortable self-centered lives behind and go live for somebody else.
Even God.

My parents were not perfect.
They will be the first to tell you that.
I'm not perfect.
If you know me personally, you already know that!
But I knew that my parents loved God, and I saw them regularly reach out to others.
And you know what?
They took us kiddos along.
Helping people was just a part of our family growing up.
I saw with my own eyes that loving God included reaching out as His hands to those around me.

 

And so I do my best to do the same.
Missions starts at home, reaching out to those around me in a regular, consistent, tangible way.
It will look differently for every family, because God has put us in different places.
But you know what?
Reaching out in America or UK or Mexico or Japan is just as important as reaching out in Ghana.


If you haven't found a way yet, sit down and think about what you and your kids together can do this week to reach out to someone. 
{And while reaching out through the internet or writing letters or giving money are good things, it is so important that they learn to reach out to flesh-and-blood humans, too.}
Find a way to love people in the name of Christ.
You'll never be sorry you did, and neither will your children.


I'll be writing about this topic over the next 40 days.
I'd love to have you join, and I'd love to hear what you do with your kiddos to reach out to others.

Would you like to read the entire series?
Start here.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I just found your blog a few days ago, and wanted to tell you that it is a blessing to me! Thank you for sharing what the Lord has laid on your heart and for all that you do to share God's love.
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! Reaching out in any way is good, but reaching out in a tangible, flesh-and-blood way is best. I think that's why visitation and helping on bus routes and in church in some way that includes serving is so very important...and need to be done without grouching and grumping, though I know we all have our days. If our kids see that it is a JOY and PRIVILEGE to serve the Lord, they will want to do it, too. :) Great reminder, Patty. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many ways to reach out but personal contact to me is still the best. Have loved this series.

    ReplyDelete