Monday, December 31, 2012

In This New Year...Enough

I'm a reader...
and a list-maker.
I love calendars, and notes, and labels.
I love Martha Stewart, and organizing, and office supplies.
I love New Year's resolutions....
and I'm a perfectionist.

And because I am first-born, and an imagine-er, and a "good girl", I always fall short.


I used to write tremendous New Year's Resolutions, list after list, till it all looked perfect
{at least on paper!}
These lists included everything from the food I'd eat and the weight I'd lose to the books {!} of the Bible and the poems I'd memorize.

And I failed....every...single...time.

This time I wanted to post about all the books I'd read...
or the books I would read....
or my favorite pictures I'd taken....
or my top 20 posts.

But I can't remember all I read....
and I'm not sure what I'll end up reading...
and most of my pictures aren't that good...
and I don't have top posts.

And then I wanted to write about my New Years Resolutions....
but I don't write those lists any more.
{Not after the three page list I made one year in which I didn't actually reach one single goal!}


And so I sit here and I think about what this new year holds for me...
and I don't really know.

I can't know the future and what God will call me to do this year.
I can't know the blessings and triumphs.
I can't know the trials.
I can't know how my faith will be stretched and grown this year.
I can't know the beautiful and the ugly that will come.

But I can know my God.
I can know His grace...
His leading...
His wooing...
His shaping me into an image of Himself.

And for me, and for this year, that is enough.



2 comments:

  1. Love this! I could have written the same thoughts about myself, just not so eloquently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've gotten to this place in your life, Patty! I think we all struggle with what we believe is our "perfect self", wanting to get there, be there, do this and that...only to fall short. It's so tempting to get discouraged, but that's when we need to stop and remember, that it's not about us - it's about God and what He can do. We need to take things one day at a time, hand in hand with God, and all will be just as it's meant to be. :) Love you guys and miss you much, and I hope you have a blessed New Year full of amazing things from God!

    ReplyDelete