Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Good Home Must Be Made...

Making a house a home is not a quick, one-time-to-the-store kind of thing for me.
As Joyce Manard once said, "A good home must be made, not bought." And I'm quite inclined to agree with her.
Creating a beautiful home for this family is a chore I've learned to enjoy, and Tuesdays is my day {barring all catastrophes} for slowly whittling away at my long list of projects.
Making a home on a missionfield certainly comes with its challenges - no quick trips to the hardware store, no craft stores, and most difficult of all, no Target or IKEA within several thousand miles!

I've certainly taken Ms. Needleman's quote from The Perfectly Imperfect Home to heart...
"Good decoration solves problems elegantly. A stylish home is highly functional and reflects the best possible look for your life, budget, and mode of living (even your peculiarities), and the problems and advantages of the place you live in."

Yesterday I tackled a project that has been quite long in coming ~ a "headboard" for our bed. I could go into all the details as to how we got the ugliest-headboard-ever when we first got our bed made eight years ago, because we couldn't explain to the carpenter what we wanted very well {language barriers, you know}. I could also list the numerous challenges presented by the wall our bed is against, because it can't be against any other wall, because our bedroom has four doors in it and the wall it's against has a fan switch in the middle of it and a light fixture {off-center, no less} on it, too. I'll spare you the rest of the details.
Needless to say, I've been stumped.

One of the things on my missions-to-be-accomplished list for furlough was to figure out something for that wall. I'd about given up until I had a brainstorm in the middle of IKEA. I saw a picture hanging wire and clips that I thought just might work.
With a few yards of fabric from JoAnn's {hoping it was the right color of blue!} and some craft paint and stencils from wonderful, ol' Martha Stewart, I set to work.


John hung the picture wire, and I started stenciling the fabric panels.....in the dark, because the lights were out {brilliant, I know, painting in the semi-darkness!}


And the results.....

I think I like it!
Maybe not HGTV worthy, but it "solves my problem....even the peculiarities"!

3 comments:

  1. I like it, too, Patty! :) Miss you guys! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I have a similar situation with a styrofoam-filled air conditioner hole over my bed...lovely, huh?! Maybe I can do something like this sometime.

    ReplyDelete