Saturday, September 1, 2012

Mirror Image


Something has happened to me in the last year.
I'm not sure when or how or even what...
maybe it's a matter of growing up....
maybe it's a bit of wisdom I've gained....
or maybe it's a new understanding of who God made me to be.

I've struggled my whole life through to be the perfect ___________ {fill in the blank, since it changes by whatever situation I happen to be in at the moment}.

Perfect Christian, perfect wife, perfect mom, perfect missionary, perfect blogger, perfect homemaker, perfect cook, perfect decorator, perfect homeschooler, perfect Sunday School teacher.....and the list could go on and on. I think you get the picture!

I would look at others and think, "If I could just be like them!"
The problem was that I was trying to be like about ten or fifteen people in any given week - can we say split-personality???

Yikes!

But somewhere in all of that jumbled mess, God showed me a truth.
I don't have to find myself;
I don't have to compare myself;
I don't have to be a reflection of anybody
but Him.

When I look in the mirror, I'm not supposed to see anyone of those "perfect" girls.
I'm not supposed to even see the "perfect" me.
I'm supposed to see Him.
His eyes bright with hope;
His mouth speaking with the law of kindness;
His temple adorned for His glory;
His hands reaching out to serve;
His feet carrying the gospel of peace.

That is freedom!
Freedom from the fear of man;
freedom from the Father of lies;
freedom from thinking "I'm not good enough”.

And that freedom spills over into every area of my life!
Freedom to write, and sing, and decorate, and dress, and cook, and homemake, and teach anyway He wants me to!

I don't have to do "it" like anybody else,
because I'm not anybody else!
I'm just called to be a mirror
reflecting Him.

Just some things I'm thinking on as I try to finish getting my house in order and everything ready for school this year.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and timely reminder. Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! Thank you for sharing! I could relate with SO much of this. As we prepare to move to Haiti....as I prepare my 3rd year of home-schooling (something I never thought I would be doing)...as I try to create my first blog for overseas updates (which I immediately compared after pulling yours up, thinking I may never create such a beautiful page like you!)...it's crazy how we put on all this man-made bondage when Christ has made us free! Thanks again for the encouraging reminder. --Tennille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, Patty! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully put! And, wow, so convicting and true!

    ReplyDelete