Monday, June 4, 2012

My Home in Ghana

My home.......
When I say that, what comes to mind?
Many people in America wonder what kind of a home I live in when I tell them that I'm a missionary in Africa.
Mud hut? Nope.
Tree house? Nope.
Bamboo stilt house? Nope.
In fact, when my own sister-in-law came to visit, she started crying when she saw the house, because she couldn't believe it was so nice! {Love you, Lyn!}
God has blessed us with a beautiful home here in Ghana.
For some time I've wanted to share it with those who wonder, but I've just never done it.
My goal is to take whoever cares to see on a virtual tour of our home here.....just not quite yet.
We were gone for a year, and we are in the process of cleaning, repairing, and rearranging a few things {really almost everything!}.
Our home has been a work in progress. And really, I like it that way.
You might be able to decorate a HOUSE overnight, but not a HOME!
I finally feel comfortable with my style {though I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an official name!}, and I'm learning to use what I have.
 Because really, my options are limited!
Case in point....
I picked up this lovely little vase last furlough (as in five years ago!) and never quite knew what to do with it. I loved it, but just never found the right spot for it.
When we got back last month, I started cleaning up our master bathroom. It is pink and tan. Not probably the colors I might have picked, but you work with what you've got!
I needed something to hold our toothbrushes and such.
I'd tried to bring a toothbrush holder back with us....it broke in the luggage! {Thank you, TSA!}
I'd tried to find one here, but couldn't find something I really liked....so I waited.
I'd even covered a tin can with scrapbook paper and clear tape....but it was quite rusty on bottom! And then it occurred to me......
Why couldn't I use what I already had?
Tada!!!!!!
My beautiful new toothbrush holder!
Not only do I love it, but I used what I had!

Do you have a similar story of using something ordinary in an {extra} ordinary way?
I'd love to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about posting some on the BMW blog about how missionaries decorate on the foreign field! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete