Friday, April 22, 2011

Fasting and Feasting for Easter


As I've mentioned a few times lately (okay, maybe more than a few), I'm a bit busy right now. In fact, I'd convinced myself that I was so busy that I didn't have time to worry about any more holidays before furlough.
If you've read here long, you know I love holidays. We try to celebrate them all -- silly, serious, widely unknown, from different cultures, and so on, and so forth. For everyone who knew me in high school and college, you'll remember my amazing collection of holiday-inspired socks :)
I forced myself to celebrate Christmas this year, because I felt absolutely awful the entire season, but that one is a must! I stumbled through New Years, remembered to do a thing or two for Valentine's Day, and eked out something small for St. Patrick's Day (a day late).

When I realized that Easter was coming less than two weeks before we left for the States on furlough, I decided to skip it all together. There is certainly no commercialization of Easter here, so I needn't worry about my kids begging me for chocolate rabbits or jelly beans when we went to buy groceries! If I could just keep the decorations hidden away, and not mention it, they wouldn't realize anything was coming until Daddy talked about it at church, and by then it would be too late to make a fuss! And then.....
Then, the Lord asked more of me. Does He ever do that to you? Days when I'm positive that I can't fit in one more thing, and the Lord asks me to go the second mile? To give not only my coat, but my cloke also? That's what He asked of me this Easter season. I read some things here and there that the Lord used to stir me to make the most of this Easter season, in spite of my busyness, in spite of how I felt, in spite of what I wanted. A time of fasting and feasting as C.S. Lewis so aptly put it. He asked me to be willing to put away some things for a time and to pick up others. And you know what? It has been exactly what I needed. Has it been perfect? Nope. Are there days I've wanted to quit and do it my way? Yep! Am I glad that I've chosen a different way than my own for this season? Without a doubt.

In doing it God's way, I've been given the gift of time. Time to really think about the story of Jesus' death and resurrection. I've had time to keep up with all that needs to be done in the house and with the ministry at this time. And I've even had time to do some extras with the kiddos. Tons of extra time? No, but the time I needed.
In choosing to fast from the good but unnecessary, I've been given time to feast on the important: time to think about my salvation and its horrible cost, time to keep my home running smoothly during this transition, time to make memories with my family.

We've been enjoying our Easter tree each morning in school and our Resurrection Eggs each day at lunch. The girls had a lovely time coloring ornaments from their Great Granny (which might possibly be dry, but the amount of glitter glue on them makes that debatable...), and we've got plenty of fun things planned for the rest of this weekend.

This afternoon, we'll have a little picnic and egg hunt with our co-workers kids, we'll dye eggs, we'll play with our Easter Mountain, and try our hand at making some homemade Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Tomorrow we'll visit and share the good news of the Resurrection and prepare for Easter Sunday. On Sunday we'll rejoice in all Jesus has done for us, and on Monday (a holiday here!), we'll join together as a church family and sing and eat and share and play and simply fellowship!

And in the hurry and scurry, and hustle and bustle, we'll take the moments here and there, and we'll make time to reflect on Jesus. What a wonderful Saviour and Friend He is. How wonderful His gifts to me.

Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate you so much!! I can't wait for you all to come home so I can see you and hopefully get to know the girls a little. I'll be praying for a safe trip for you all. May all your needs be met and enough comfort things thrown in to let you know you have a loving heavenly Father watching over you. Sue Bailey, 3rd grade girl's Sunday School class, FBC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you as you prepare to travel. May He give you the strength that you need at this time. I know you'll have a wonderful time with family and friends! .... just takes alot of work to make it happen:)

    I enjoyed seeing all your pictures from Easter.

    ReplyDelete