Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gratefulnesse


Of course it's time to talk about thankfulness -- it's Thanksgiving time, right!?!
Until recently, I would have said that I was a thankful person. At least as thankful as the next guy! At different times through the year, especially around holidays, I'd list the things I was thankful for: life, health, salvation, family, friends, husband, kids, food......and so on, and so forth.
And then, this year, some things came into my life that didn't seem like good things, things I couldn't or wouldn't or shouldn't be thankul for.
I was searching for answers, for anything, really, to help me "feel" better than I did.
That's when God brought me to thankfulness - His idea of it, and not mine. Through several different avenues, He brought me to the fact that I wasn't truly thankful. Oh, I was happy with the good stuff, but I certainly wasn't willing to thank Him for the things that didn't seem to be good. I wasn't satisfied to choose thankfulness in the midst of the situations I didn't like or understand. And I wasn't satisfied to find the glory in the everyday, the sad, or the mundane.
I had a choice. I could choose thankfulness, or I could choose to wallow in the muck of my poor-me feelings.
I started journaling my thanks the beginning of August. I started thanking for the good, the bad, the ugly, the ordinary. And as my eyes were opened, I began to see the words of Elizabeth Barret Browing coming true in my own life....
Earth is crammed with Heaven, and every common bush afire with God; but
only he who sees takes off his shoes....

If my eyes are open, really open, I will find something to be thankful for everywhere I look.

This last stanza of the poem Gratefulnesse by George Herbert, a 17th century poet, sums it up best...
Not thankfull when it pleaseth me,
As if Thy blessings had spare dayes;
But such a heart whose pulse may be
Thy praise.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for opening up my eyes too...I also realized that praising God when things are not the way we want it to be releases a certain Peace that God is in control and that everything is going to work out good, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful.... the Lord has been working the same thing in my life over the past months. In fact, taped to the kitchen window, where I spend alot of time cooking and doing dishes, I have a card taped with I Thess. 5:18 " In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" Under the verse I have for my benefit...No Complaining. In the ministry here in Canada, you realize the significance of little victories. However, I should give thanks in little or much. May the Lord help me to truly be thankful and praise Him each day for the little things. Thanks for the post.. it's a good reminder to me today.
    Praying for you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spelling error! Ok I will try again... :)
    Hi! I just read a comment you left on 1+1. I have a sponsor child in Ghana. What part of Ghana are you located? He is in Teshsie. I think I spelled that correctly... So nice to "meet" you. Look forward to checking out your blog.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey! thanks for stopping by our homeschool blog, fisher academy! it is SO nice to have you of course, so come by any time! :)
    we love CM and I'm planning some posts on CM basics in the coming months... but more than that I'm glad to have found YOU! fun! so, we're moving today, but I'll be looking forward to sometime soon getting to know you more :)

    amy in peru
    apilgrimsproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete