Friday, September 24, 2010

A New Season


Summer has come and gone! That might be a bit more obvious to some of you than others, but it's a fact! (Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, but I don't think anybody reading this blog lives there. If you do, just keep reading, 'k?)
Here in Ghana, the seasons change inside our house. We do have seasons, but not the ones I grew up with!
Our summer was a good one. It was very busy, but we enjoyed much of the busyness together. That word "together" makes it all good! And as much as I like the idea of holding on to summer, I was ready for a change.
I'm a Yankee through and through, and I love the dramatic seasonal changes I grew up with. I love a freezing cold winter full of ice and snow. I love a super-duper quick spring when the snow finally melts and everything begins to green again. I love a short, hot summer with long days and loud, crashing thunderstorms. But most of all, I love a perfect fall. Sweater weather. Air just crisp enough to take your breath away. Apples. Pumpkins. Soup. Cider. (actually I'd really rather go for hot chocolate, but cider sounds better!)
Maybe I love Autumn, too, because it's such a huge time of change. Things coming to a close. Even though everything is going to sleep or dying away, it does it so beautifully. Or maybe I'm just feeling sentimental today.
This summer was good, but there were some hard things we passed through this summer. Nothing earth-shattering or ground-shaking, but difficult none the less. We've passed through some dark days, but my hope and prayer is that we've passed through them with grace. That the old things God wants purged from our lives are dying away. More of my "self" being put to death so that John 12:24 can be real in my life -- Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
So that's where I am. A new season in life.
I bid good-bye to summer, and I embrace fall with open arms. I lay the past to rest, and place my hope in the One who holds my future.

And since fall is now here, I'm off to eat some of the secret stash of candy corn!

1 comment:

  1. You DO have a reader in the Southern Hemisphere! It is Happy Spring for us, but Fall is definitely my favorite...although not quite the same here!

    ReplyDelete