Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Candy

Candy.
Who doesn't love it?!?

When first moving to the mission field I thought about a lot of things. Candy wasn't one of them.
After my first visit to the "grocery store", though, I started thinking about candy. A lot. About the fact that all the candy I had grown up with was nowhere to be seen. That they sold strange candy in Ghana. Flavored like ginger, menthol, or black licorice. Nothing fruity like Starburst or Skittles. Nothing minty like York or Andes. Nothing like Hershey's Kisses or Skor bars.
Am I making you hungry yet?
What was wrong with this place? Where was the good stuff!?! Then one day I saw a familiar package -- a Snickers bar!!!
John and I spent way too much money to buy the coveted delicacy, but alas, it was not a Snickers bar! Not really!!! It was from Englad, and in England their chocolate doesn't taste like American chocolate. It tastes like.....British chocolate, I guess. Not very nice. I was so disappointed.
After a while, we got used to eating very few sweets. Unlike Americans, Ghanaians have very little sugar in their diets.
Then one day, I found out about one of their little secrets......Anlo tofe (pronounced on-ra toe-fay). WoW!!!!! I'd been missing out!
It's really quite simple -- cooked sweetened condensed milk rolled with a little butter -- but it is delicious!







As easy as that!
Now that I've been on the field awhile, I don't think about American sweets much anymore. Oh, they are good, no doubt, but my fancy seems to run more to fresh Anlo tofe. And I know right where I can get some!

4 comments:

  1. is it anything like homemade carmel? cause that stuff is GOOD! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!
    If only we americans would eat more like that we all would not be over weight. Okay not all of us but enough of us.
    Love n miss you!
    Girls volleyball lost the last match of the season. It was not totally undefeated but they had a great year!
    Tomorrow night starts the tournaments. We play another tough school but if we play as we can we can win.
    Church triumphant was this week and was great! Today the girls have 1/2 day due to parent teacher conference.
    Do not eat to many sweets!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty,
    That is so funny you should write about the Toffee. I have just discovered it myself. It is so good! They make it here with coconut. I am going to try and make some from the sweet condensed milk. Have you tried to make any? Some of the girls at church said they would help me. lol I will let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. HEY, girlie!! I have missed out on a lot of HILARIOUS posting from you. Hilarious because when I read them I can hear your voice telling me the stories. I must say that candy looks delicious, but I too would have been very disappointed about the snickers bar. That hairdo picture was the BEST!!! Wow! What a blessing strawberries and blueberries just when you didn't deserve them. God is so good to us!!

    ReplyDelete