Friday, January 2, 2009

Holiday Fun!

What an enjoyable time we have had as a family these last two months! I finally found some time to get all the pictures loaded so I thought I'd post some of the fun!
A few days before Thanksgiving, we went to pick out our turkey. That's right - we get to buy our's live!

Here's the poor guy (not John) in his last few moments of life!

We had a great time with our "family" here. It's always fun to watch our Ghanaian friends try out American food!
We were able to make a trip to Accra, the capital city near the beginning of December. It is a bit more modern than Kumasi! They even have a mall (the very first in our country)! On the second day we were there, Papa Bronya (Santa Claus) came to the mall to see the children! They had some fun activities for the kids, and then each child got to go visit Santa and get a gift!
It was hilarious to see a new version of something we were quite familiar with...Papa Bronya, as we call Santa here, had the beard covering his entire face. The elves were quite a laugh, too. Let's just say it's a good thing they weren't at the North Pole - they would have died of exposure!





We've had lots of fun building "snowmen", baking, and decorating!












Ella turned two on December 15th.






We also added a new tradition to the fun this year. On December 24th, most of the children here will build a palm frond hut. Usually they sleep in it on Christmas Eve. It is great fun, and a good reminder of making room for the Christ child. So, this year, we attempted it! We had lots of fun doing it, and the girls played in it the whole day!



We had such fun on Christmas morning...both the girls are old enough now to really enjoy opening presents!


And now, we wish you a wonderful new year! Afenhyia Pa!

5 comments:

  1. What fun it looks like you had! Your girls are getting so big and they are absolutely gorgeous!

    Happy Birthday, Ella!

    And Happy New Year to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the snowman out of boxes!!! Great idea!

    I have a question to ask you. Do you remember the KJV blog that I highlighted you guys on? Every Monday, I write a ministry highlight post. Sometimes I write about our own ministry and church and sometimes I highlight others--like yours. I am trying to get four or five different ministry wives from all over to write on this with me. Then we would each write only once every four or five weeks and we would all have such different thing in the ministry to write about: different types of culture, people, ministries, view points, etc.... I have asked Kristy Davis and Blasi another missionary is Spain,Pilar Stark (She is good friends with Deanna. Aaron and her husband went to college at PCC together.) and you. Would you be interested? It would also be a huge help to me with us moving to a new church. I would love to share the posting. If you are interested please let me know and I will get you in on the author's list. The link to the blog is on my sidebar. You would have to joing the group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very glad you had a great Christmas season! What fun times!

    Your girls are so beautiful and expressive (reminds me of my own!=)!

    Have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is funny you should say that, I almost wrote that! Perhaps what should be said is YOU and I are kindred spirits=)

    I think they would be fast friends if they were ever together for very long!

    I do hope you have a wonderful New Year! Enjoy you family, I know you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all the fun pictues. Happy Birthday to Ella.. so hard to believe she is two. She was only a few weeks old when we say you all in North Carolina. She is precious!! The snowman cake was really cute.

    I was thinking about you the other day, and thinking how funny it was that the Lord took you and I to opposite weather extremes... it's fun, isn't it? We grew up in one, and get to experience the other:)

    Emma has not started school yet. She'll be 5 at the end of September. I was hoping to wait another year, but it's not gonna happen. She already wants me to teach her to read.

    ReplyDelete