Thursday, October 23, 2008

Tag, I'm It!


A few days ago (or maybe weeks by now), I got tagged. I had no idea what that meant until I saw it on another friend's blog. Getting tagged means that I must write seven random things about myself and then tag seven other people. Since this is not just a personal blog, but also a ministry blog, I wasn't quite sure what to write. After much deliberation, I have decided to tell you seven random things about my life in Ghana. So...for those of you who are curious about the abnormal, the mundane, and the odd, here it is!
1. Even though the grass grows twelve months a year in Ghana, you will rarely hear a lawn mower or smell cut grass. Our grass here is cut by machete, and since it takes so long, it never smells like it has been freshly mowed.
2. We have very few public restrooms in Ghana. Let's just say it makes potty-training interesting!
3. You will never smell fabric softener sheets or hear a clothes dryer running. Everything is hung on a clothesline. Unfortunately, it doesn't come into the house smelling spring-fresh most of the time!
4. I have become an expert cockroach sniper - I can kill a cockroach at ten paces with my flip-flop.
5. Most people here eat their cornflakes (about the only kind of cereal you can find on a regular basis in Ghana) with sweetened condensed milk.
6. The proper way to eat Ghanaian food is with your fingers.
7. I rarely get the chance to have a hot bath. We take bucket baths here, because the water doesn't run on a regular basis, and we don't have hot water heaters.
And there you have it - seven random things about my life here in Ghana! I have plenty more interesting and odd things to share, but I'll save them for another day!

3 comments:

  1. So interesting!
    I love reading your words!
    Thanks for playing!
    Have a wonderful day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your life is certainly interesting! Isn't is weird how normal those things are to you now.

    Congratulations on making it through your first few weeks of homeschooling! It is the hardest yet most rewarding thing you will ever do. If you need any advice, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed and laughed at the cockroach one. I was picturing you throwing your flip flop over and over again. Then I could hear the shout of excitement when you finally got it! Now you are such a frequent participant in this activity that you are a pro.

    ReplyDelete