Sunday, July 6, 2008

All In All


So many possible posts, so little time! That's how I feel right now! I've had a million ideas running through my head this last week, but I've had no time to post (and even if I did, I wouldn't have known what to post!). I finally decided to write everything all at once! I'll try not to make it too long, though! I'll even try to include some pictures if I can locate any!
A few weeks ago (it feels like months), we asked you all to please pray for some pressing unspoken prayer requests. Well, although we don't know the entire outcome of everything, God has helped us through every step of the way and has protected our family through this time of adversity. We've learned so much about God's mercy,
forgiveness, and care as well!
In the middle of the month we had a missions team come from our home church in Michigan. My parents led the group, and we had a great time together! I got to cook for 14 people plus my family every day! I guess it's good practice for if we ever have that many kids! Yeah, right! The group held public school Bible clubs, did a lot of canvassing, a tract blitz, and painted the school building the new church is meeting in. We kept them very busy from morning 'til night. In turn, they've left us lots of follow up to do! We have lists and lists of people who are interested in salvation Bible studies and visiting the church!



We are now starting our third week of services and are excited to imagine what God has in store for this place. It is quite a learning experience - everything must be taught: how we sing, the songs, how we take offering, how we pray, how we behave in church, and the list could go on and on.
And now, the 4th of July has come and gone. Independence Day is one of my personal favorites, but a holiday that I don't necessarily have a "right" to have as a missionary in a foreign country. Oh, we still celebrate, but not the same way we would in the States! You see, it's just not acceptable to celebrate America's independence when you live in Ghana. It's not looked on too kindly. And, as I don't want to offend needlessly (and therefore hinder efforts to reach them for Christ), I simply enjoy my family, wear my red, white, and blue inside my home, and imagine flags waving and fireworks exploding. It's not that missionaries aren't patriots; many times I think missionaries are more patriotic than your average American. We've been put in a place where we can see what a blessing it really is to be born in America!
All in all, its been a wonderful month! I think I'm about the luckiest lady alive!
I've included the few pictures I could find, but I'll add more later!

4 comments:

  1. We love you so much!
    Thanks so much for all your hard work and all the time you spent for our children! We love and appreciate more each day all the hard work time and effort that was put forth for such an awesome trip that my children have not stopped talking about.We have so many awesome pictures.You are both so special to us and w will be shipping off a package this week so be looking for it!You are in our thoughts and prayers always!
    Trac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mrs. Sommer,
    I just wanted to thank you for posting that wonderful picture of me. It is very interesting and i'm sure everyone will love to see it. I knew it was a bad idea to let you take it. I'm just kidding,but it did make me laugh. I love you guys.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so I think I'm learning or "getting" a new appreciation for missions or "missionaries" Pastor John you challenged us to look for a better or more specific way to pray for missionaries and I think I'm starting to get it-"Kakra kakra" When I look at the missionary pictures at church it's not quite the same anymore. People have asked me what my favorite part about the trip was and I really can't answer their question very well because the whole thing was awesome. I absolutely loved it. I would definitely go again in a heartbeat. Thanks for Everything! you all are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok... I can totally relate to the Independence Day part. You said it so well. We now celebrate Canada Day on July 1st, and July 4th comes and goes just like any other day. However, in our hearts, we can never forget. And.... somehow, we can slip our blue in with the red and white on Canada Day, eh?
    So glad the missions trip went well. I have been praying for you!

    ReplyDelete