Tuesday, March 25, 2008

We're Here!

Well, as of a year ago I had no idea what a blog was, and now I'm writing one! John and I have been missionaries in Ghana, West Africa since August of 2003. During our first term we had very little internet access - we had to use an "internet cafe" in town. Please don't get images of Starbucks and flatscreens - it definitely wasn't that!
While we were in the States on furlough several of our friends mentioned blogs, but we had no idea what they were talking about. Then, my friend Heather introduced me to a blog done by some missionaries in Poland. I began to see what a great opportunity a blog could be for us to connect with friends and family so far away.
The Lord allowed us to get internet access in our home when we returned to the field in August of 2007, but I kind of forgot about the blog idea until recently. I started searching for other blogs done by missionaries or old friends, and I found out that almost everybody I know (except for me) has one! So, after much deliberation, I have begun!
So often people think that missionaries are strange creatures living an even stranger life (especially African missionaries). Yes, things are different here, but I think if you keep reading you'll find out that we are just ordinary people who get to do an extraordinary job!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! You finally have a blog! It looks great. For not being a "techie" you did really great!

    I love being able to stay in touch with you more now, and I really love seeing pics of the girls so often. I bet your parents love it too!

    Love ya,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patty! I still have no idea what a blog is! :) When I tried to "leave a comment" I had to become a "blogger"! You are pulling me into the "techie age"!

    I enjoyed looking at your pictures! You are in our prayers! I sure wish we could come on the Ghana mission trip this summer! I am sure it will be great! We look forward to hearing all about it! Although we don't see you often (as in years at a time) we do love you and think about you often! Maybe someday we will be on furlough at the same time! We may be old and gray by then, but it could happen! :) I love to see missionaries writing about how much they love the mission field God has sent them to! I love mine too! :)

    "Talk" to you later!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie (Self) BlasiApril 4, 2008 at 4:35 PM

    Hey Patty!
    It has been so long!
    We are still in Ca.(been here five years)and now have three kids: Esther (5), Enoch (4) and Evelyn (1)
    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mr. and Mrs. Sommer,
    How are you guys doing? It's so cool that you guys got this. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of what is going on over there. How are things coming for the missions trip? I can't wait to see you guys!! I'm praying that the Lord really does a work while we are over there. Well, I hope you have a wonderful day.

    Love ya lots,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    i was looking for some information about Ghana and I found your blog. I think I will definately keep reading your blog, since I'll be moving to Accra in 2 months to work as a missionary and I want to know more about their culture.
    Do you have any advice for me? :)
    Blessings and keep on the good work!

    Krmen

    ReplyDelete